20.11.08

Loving Discipline

"For those whom the Lord loves He disciplines...He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness.

All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness."
(Heb. 12:6,10,11)

Thoughts from the journal...

It is true, trials (discipline) make for good training ground for our souls. This (often selfish, ease-loving) child would not choose the hard stuff if she had her own way. :)

Yet God is good to me to allow difficulties in. I can trace His hand, His work in my life most clearly by looking back at tough times. It was there He drew me closest. It was there I felt His presence. It was there He taught me dependence. It was there that joy grew.

I am still so slow to learn. At the first glimpse of something I don't like coming my way, I coward. Not this God, please. Won't you stop this? Won't you change this? But He doesn't, not always. I am learning to trust, and He knows what it will take to teach me.

"...Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus...For consider Him...so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." (Heb. 12:1-3)

3 comments:

Edie said...

Apparently God sent me over here for a reason. Thank you my friend.

Anna Payne said...

Thank you for the comment on my blog. I hope to get back to posting soon. I have been quite overwhelmed in the past several months. . . but thanks for stopping by. ;) I know I will enjoy checking your blog out.

God's Girl said...

Thanks for sharing such a good (and hard) word.

Blessings to you.

Julie