15.1.09

Emotions and Truth, Part 3

A Renewed Perspective

John Piper points out the correlation between hope and truth this way:

“Hope happens when our minds are girded up with truth, and active in truth…if we want hope to flourish in our hearts, we must gird up the loins of our minds with truth instead of ignorance.”

Having trouble cultivating a hope-filled view? No matter what you’re feeling or what you’re dealing with, if you’re a believer, there are countless reasons to rejoice with hope. The most significant reason? The gospel!

Meditating on all that has been accomplished in the death and resurrection of Jesus produces gratitude and joy. Some starters? Our sins are forgiven, we’re given fellowship with God, and we have the help and comfort of the Holy Spirit. As we immerse ourselves in these and other hope-giving truths in Scripture our minds will be transformed. As we take our eyes off of ourselves, a new perspective emerges.

The Ultimate Goal

In applying some of these suggestions, our ultimate goal and prayer should be that of David in Psalm 19:14:

“Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer.”

To be pleasing to Him – that is our motivation. Habits may die hard, but as we seek to honour the Lord in our thoughts and attitudes, we're not without help – His strength is promised. May each of us be able to say as Paul in Colossians 1:29 – “For this purpose also I labor, striving according to His power, which mightily works within me.”

Note: This concept of bringing emotions and thoughts under Christ's Lordship is one I'm still learning about and hopefully growing in, by His grace - I definitely haven't "arrived".
I realize this is a topic that needs balance - solely focusing on "what we feel" is not healthy, and our obedience is certainly commanded even when the right feelings aren't there. If anyone has thoughts, please share. :)

1 comment:

Edie said...

I'm certainly still learning with you Stephanie. When my emotions want to take over I usually say out loud "I choose to Trust You in this." I think saying it out loud is a shield or weapon against the enemy and opens me to receiving the Help/Strength that He promises.

Love you!