8.1.10

MacArthur's Favorites

Here's a fun link for any fans of John MacArthur, and for lovers of old hymns:

MacArthur's Favorite Hymns

A couple of mine are on this list - My Jesus, I Love Thee, and A Mighty Fortress.

And if you'd like, check out this post, which reminds me to keep moving forward in this new year in my (pretty neglected) goal to know more Christ-exalting, doctrine-rich, soul-stirring songs by heart.
~
Note: So many hymns have been put to a wide variety of modern music to fit every taste, so don't let images of dark, brooding organ music deter you from discovering the treasure of old hymns!

3 comments:

Penn Tomassetti said...

Note: So many hymns have been put to a wide variety of modern music to fit every taste, so don't let images of dark, brooding organ music deter you from discovering the treasure of old hymns!

Hahaha... that's exactly right Stephanie!

I remember when I became addicted to the Bible back in 2002-03, I was also immediately enthralled with the old beautiful and Christ-exalting hymns of the past. They are songs that will always speak to the heart, because those who wrote them experienced God's grace so personally.

I also hope that God raises up more gifted musicians to write new timeless songs.

Phylicia said...

Hey Stephanie!

Thanks for the comment!

I love hymns, especially "What a friend we have in Jesus" and "Softly and Tenderly". I think a lot of hymns have more depth and meaning to them than contemporary music. But I like some of both!

In Him
Phylicia

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.