It was a like a whisper in my spirit; I had to stop and stand in the damp grass and look up at the sky.
In everything give thanks. In everything give thanks.
Suddenly all the little things from this evening seemed especially from the hands of my caring heavenly Father.
- Barbecued hamburgers and potato salad for supper.
- A June evening beautiful beyond description.
- Working in the yard with my mom and sister; deep purple irises stretching their heads to heaven, dripping with water from my tin watering can.
- Being chased by a little brother and sprayed with water.
- Throwing Frisbees.
- Playing badminton with brothers until my muscles burn - running across a shady lawn and laughing at their stunts.
- Taking a long walk towards the setting sun with my MP3 player and this music...
Ordinary, simple things, but I'm seeing tonight that they are really good gifts, given by the Lord. All undeserved. So often, I take little things for granted. I don't stop and offer thanks for them as I should. Instead, I focus on the things I want changed - problems or pain in my life and in the lives of those I love....but you know what? I saw my Lord's gracious care for me in little things tonight, and I know He is faithful in the big things also. He's the God who acts in behalf of the one who waits for Him, and while we wait, we can enjoy His goodness.