2.9.08

Spiritual Retreat Part 1

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. Ephesians 5:15-16

This verse is one that I’m often drawn back to when I start thinking about walking wisely. “Making the most of your time…” Easier said than done! If you’re like me, you get easily distracted by all kinds of things, and usually end up accomplishing much less than you originally set out to do. Or maybe you’re striving to accomplish the wrong things… So how are we to be “careful in how we walk?” How are we supposed to know what classifies as “making the most of our time”?

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. James 1:5

I’ve definitely been in need of this wisdom lately, so I recently decided to take a half day to seek God’s counsel in some different matters. I sometimes hurriedly ask God’s advice or try to discern what His will for me is in a certain area, only to be frustrated with…silence. No inner peace. No confirmation of what His will is. The problem, of course, is me! I’m in a hurry. Or I’m not really expecting answers. Or I'm allowing busyness to drown out God's voice. James continues in verse 6 and 7:

But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord.

Humbling! I knew that I desperately needed some unhurried time to worship God, to pray, to be in His presence, and to allow Him to get my heart in the right condition so that I could ask for this wisdom in faith, without doubting...it was time for a "spiritual retreat"...

1 comment:

Penn Tomassetti said...

Your sincerity is an encouragement and a challenge to me. May God grant you the wisdom and grace to stay focused. God bless.