13.10.10

Loved, rescued, and made alive!

Have you thought about the gospel today?

This evening I was reading a prayer of Ezra, a godly man who helped lead God's people out of captivity from Babylonia. I was struck with one part of his prayer - his words, although speaking of their bondage as literal slaves, express what was true of every believer:

"For we are slaves; yet in our bondage our God has not forsaken us, but has extended lovingkindness to us...." (Ezra 9:9)

Flip forward to the New Testament, and the apostle Paul describes our rescue from captivity like this: . .
.
"But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ... "(Eph 2:4,5)

I don't want this precious and magnificent truth to ever grow dull in my heart - I was in bondage to sin, but God showed mercy to me by sending Christ to pay my ransom with His own blood, on the cross. Now I am free!

If you have a moment, pause the player on the right and listen to this song - if Christ has saved you, then this is your story too:




2 comments:

Anna said...

Thanks for sharing this, Stephanie. I so enjoy your musings! I am about to start reading Ezra, too, so it was great to read a meditation on that book. :)

Stephanie said...

I'm glad you enjoy, thanks for reading!

Ezra is a great book - I'm following a Bible reading plan so I've been spending more time in the OT than I normally would, and it's been so faith-building and refreshing!